CROCK POT BEAN SOUP (SALLYE)
It's a winner.
1 lbgreat northern beans
1 mediumyellow onion
1rib of celery
5 cchicken broth
1/2 ctomato sauce
4 slicethick sliced bacon
1 Tbspmrs. dash****
1 Tbspfresh ground black pepper
How to Make CROCK POT BEAN SOUP (SALLYE)
- THE NIGHT BEFORE:
Place beans in a colander or sieve and wash thoroughly, sorting through to pick out foreign objects.
Please in large bowl or pan and cover with water plus up to at least 2" above beans. The beans will soak up a LOT of water.
Set aside in cool dry place overnight.
- THE NEXT MORNING:
Peel and quarter the onion, place in food processor.
Peel the carrots and cut into chunks; place in processor
Peel garlic and place in processor
Cut celery into 1-1/2" lengths and place in processor.
Pulse until veggies are chunky.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse beans again.
Pour beans into crockpot.
- Add vegetables from processor to crockpot with beans.
Crumble and sprinkle the bacon over the vegetables and beans.
- Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash*** and pepper.
Mix tomato sauce into the chicken stock.
Pour chicken stock mixture over the beans and vegetables.
- NOTE: CHICKEN STOCK SHOULD COMPLETELY COVER THE BEANS PLUS UP TO 2" OVER THE TOP OF BEANS. AGAIN, BEANS SOAK UP A LOT OF LIQUID WHEN COOKING.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, then turn to low and cook for 3-4 more hours until beans are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid.
You may add more water when cooking if necessary.
- Great served with cornbread, or beer bread.