Black Bean Soup- Superfood Diet
In this recipe you can use canned black beans or make your own from dried black beans. If you cook a big batch and freeze in smaller portions you can make this hearty, delicious soup in just 30 minutes.
Good served hot or chilled, garnished with plain yogurt, chopped cucumber, and green onions. Be sure to remove the bay leaves before serving.
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- cumin seeds
- 1 large
- onion, diced
- 1 small
- green bell pepper, chopped fine
- celery stalks, sliced thin
- sea salt to taste (go light!)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp
- red pepper flakes (to your taste)
- bay leaves
- 1 qt
- low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can(s)
- (15 ounces) black beans, with their liquid
- fresh parsley, plain yogurt, or low fat sour cream for garnish
How to Make Black Bean Soup- Superfood Diet
- 1In a 4 quart soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic until the garlic is golden. Add the cumin seeds and stir until the wonderful scent is released.
Add the green pepper, celery, salt to taste, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for a minute longer. Add the bay leaves, broth, and beans. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then increase the heat to high, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more broth if necessary. Serve garnished with parsley, plain yogurt, or low fat sour cream.