Black Bean Soup
You can serve this over rice, with tortilla chips, or with a slice of cornbread.
1 lbdried black beans*
1 largeonion, diced
4 stalk(s)celery, diced
2carrots, peeled and diced
3garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cchicken broth
2 1/4 tspcumin
dash(es)cayenne pepper (or more if you like)
·juice of 1/2 lime
·salt and pepper to taste
·sour cream, chopped cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, diced onion, diced tomato, sliced green onion, diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon
How to Make Black Bean Soup
- Soak the beans: Rinse and sort beans. Soak beans in cold water (6-8 cups) for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans. Add to a large stockpot with water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender (1 1/2- 2 hours).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Do not drain.
- Cook onion, celery, and carrots in 1-2 tablespoons oil (or bacon drippings for extra flavor) in a skillet over medium heat until tender ( 6-7 minutes).
Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables, broth, cumin, and cayenne pepper to pot of beans.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Working in batches, transfer 1/2 of the soup to the blender and puree. (Or use an immersion blender if you have one).
Return soup to pot and heat through.
Stir in lime juice and serve.
* You can substitute 4 cans of black beans for the dried. Just skip the first two steps and add a little extra broth to get desired consistency.