Big Ole Pot of Pinto Beans
2 lbdried pintos (from colorado, if possible)
1/2 lbbacon, uncooked (or replace with 1 tsp liquid smoke)
2 tspsalt (or to taste)
1/2 tspblack pepper (or to taste)
1 tspgarlic powder
How to Make Big Ole Pot of Pinto Beans
- Sort and wash pinto beans and place them in a large pot
- Fill pot 3/4 full of water; add bacon. Cover pot and place over a medium flame. When pot is boiling, lower heat until a low "bubbling" or simmering is achieved.
- Watch carefully – as pot gets low on water, add more (keep water level at least 2 inches above the beans). Continue cooking for 2-3 hours, until beans are very soft.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder & sugar. Cook another 20-30 minutes with pot uncovered (so juice will thicken). Right before serving, taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
- OPTION: For a vegetarian and/or kosher version of this recipe, omit the bacon and in Step 4, add 1 tsp of Liquid Smoke.