Bean Soup made with a Ham Bone
14 ozpackage dried great northern beans, or navy beans
3 qtcold water
1 largemeaty ham bone
·juice the ham was cooked in
2 mediumcarrots, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup
1 mediumonion, chopped
·salt and pepper to taste, i check while the soup is simmering
1/2 tspdried parsley
1 to 2 mediumbay leaves
How to Make Bean Soup made with a Ham Bone
- Put beans on a cookie sheet, and pick through for stones, and bad beans.
- Put beans in a large stock pot and cover them with 4 times their size in water. Cover and let sit overnight.
- Next morning, drain, put back in stock pot and cover with 2 to 3 quarts of cold water. Add the ham bone, seasonings, carrots, and onion.
- Bring to a boil until the beans are softened and the meat is falling off the bone. This will take about 2 to 3 hours.
- using an imersion blender, puree the beans a little. If you don't have this kind of blender, use your food processor, or a blender, to puree some of the beans a little.
- Remove the ham bone, when cool enough to handle, take off the ham and return the picked bone and the ham back to the soup.