Candied Grapefruit Peel
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 or 2 largegrapefruit
1/4 tspsea salt
3 ozbox jello, flavor and/or color of your choice
·granulated sugar as needed when you roll the candied grapefruit strips.
How to Make Candied Grapefruit Peel
- Using point of sharp knife, score grapefruit; peel into 4 length-wise sections. Loosen peel from fruit; if peel is quite thick, cut away some of the white membrane.
- Cut peel into 1/4" strips to measure 2 cups. Place cut peel in large saucepan; Cover w/cold water; bring to boil.
- Boil 20 minutes; Drain; Repeat 2 more times with fresh water each time. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine sugar, 3/4 cup water & salt in 2 quart saucepan; cook & stir over medium heat to dissolve sugar; add peel; bring to boil; simmer 20 minutes or until peel is just translucent.
- Gradually add the dry gelatin, stirring over low heat, until dissolved; Remove peel from syrup; drain on rack for 20 minutes. Roll each strip in granulated sugar til well coated.
- Let dry on rack several hours or overnight. Store in airtight container, separated by pieces of parchment or wax paper.