Movie Theater Popcorn at Home
Catherine Thompson Floyd
How to Make Movie Theater Popcorn at Home
- In a heavy bottm saucepan add the coconut oil to the bottom of the pan to coat and be enough for the kernels of popcorn sit and have the oil like about 1/4 to 1/2 up the kernels. Turn the heat on to medium-high.
- When you see the oil start shimmering, or start to smoke, add popcorn kernels to almost cover the bottom of the pan. Stir. Put a lid on the pan and carefully shake. When you hear the kernels "pop", turn down the heat. Shake the pan carefully (don't burn yourself!) every now and then to avoid burning. Some folks like the popcorn texture better if the lid is just a bit ajar to allow the steam to escape. If you do this, be careful of flying hot kernels and also use care when shaking the pan. (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN!). Some folks just add 2 kernels of corn when they put in the oil and when they pop, they know the heat is high enough and time to add the corn kernels.
- When the corn slows down popping, remove from heat and let it finish popping. Salt and butter if desired.
- Sometimes I add the salt to taste with the coconut oil and sometimes I wait till it is popped. Serving size depends so much on size of pan, how many kernels you use and how big your popcorn bowl is!
- On the JAP site there are some fabulous recipes to do flavored popcorn.