I pickle beets simply by cooking them until tender,cool,slice put in a jar and cover with seasoned rice vinegar;let them sit overnight before eating. They are delicious!
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (70 g) coarse white salt,such as kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 ml) white vinegar (distilled)
- 2-pounds (1 kg) turnips, peeled
- 1 small beet, or a few slices from a regular-size beet, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic
How to Make Pickled Turnips
- 11. In a saucepan, heat about one-third of the water. Add the salt and bay leaf, stirring until the salt is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, add the vinegar and the rest of the water.
3. Cut the turnips and the beet into batons, about the size of French fries. Put the turnips, beets, and garlic slices into a large, clean jar, then pour the salted brine over them in the jar, including the bay leaf.
4. Cover and let sit at room temperature, in a relatively cool place, for one week. Once done, they can be refrigerated until ready to serve.
Storage: The pickles will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. They’ll be rather strong at first, but will mellow after a few days. They should be enjoyed within a six weeks after they’re made.