How to Make Pickle Quickies
- Peel and thinly slice one cucumber (and one onion, if desired.)
- Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 3 hours, then pour off the liquid.
- Heat leftover pickle juice to boiling point and add cucumber and onions. Heat through but do not boil
- Pack in leftover pickle jar and store in refrigerator.
- Yield: approximately one and one-half pints of pickle "quickies."
- NOTE: Bits of pickled onion and second time leftover juice add zip to macaroni, potato, and mixed green salads. Laura J. Leonard
- NOTE FROM HELOISE II: Laura, you're a sweetie. I tried this, except I didn't boil the pickle juice and cucumbers, just poured the juice in a jar. Boy, were they good! The only suggestion I might make is to rinse and drain the cucumbers so they won't be too salty. OUTSTANDING!