- 1 medium
- onion sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 2 1/4 c
- low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 c
- panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 c
- italian seasoned flavoured whole wheat breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- olive oil baking spray
- 1/4 c
- crushed corn flakes
How to Make low fat baked onion rings
- 1Place onions in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over the top and let them soak for about 1 to 2 hours refrigerated.
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking dish with foil or parchment paper. Add panko crumbs, bread crumbs and corn flakes and place half the crumbs in a large dish, season with salt. Reserve the rest for when the first batch is used up. This should help avoid clumping and help to stick to the onions.
- 3Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture; coat well. Place rings onto two cookie sheets. Lightly spray with oil. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.