Leslie's Stuffed Mushrooms
Leslie Speed Dutton
My family and friends cannot get enough of these. When I used to make them to take to parties, people that loved mushrooms (and some that didn't) begged for my recipe.
DO NOT ever wash mushrooms under water since they act like sponges. ALWAYS use a brush, like a gentle paint brush or basting brush to clean dirt off of mushrooms.
This can be made ahead 24 hours ahead of time.
48 mediumbutton mushroom (about 2 pounds)
4 ozolive oil, extra virgin
4 slicebacon, cooked and finely chopped
1 can(s)black olives, chopped (cans are the same size as a tuna can)
2 cstuffing mix, herb-seasoned
4 clovegarlic paste (see directions)
6 ozmozzarella cheese, fancy shredded
3 Tbspbasil, fresh and finely chopped
2 tsporegano, dried
1 pkgparmigiano-reggiano, grated (for best flavor) or parmesan cheese (less expensive)
1 tspblack pepper
How to Make Leslie's Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cook bacon crisp but not burned, set aside to cool. While bacon is cooling, clean dirt from mushrooms with brush or soft cloth (basting brush works best).
Chopped bacon as fine as possible or pulse in food processor until it looks like bacon bits.
- Remove stems from mushroom caps. Cut a thin slice off of the top of cap so it will not roll. Finely chop. Using a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add mushroom stems and slices to pan, saute until tender.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wipe with oil or use parchment paper in a cookie sheet with sides or 2 large shallow baking dishes. Brush each cap with bacon grease and place cap side down in pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add any bacon grease left, mushroom pieces and oil, herb stuffing. Using a zester or micro-plane, rub each clove of garlic over bowl, holding the hard end, being careful of fingers. Throw hard end away. It will form a paste. What did not fall into bowl, scrap off of micro-plane or zester.
- Add can of black olives, pepper, chopped basil, dried oregano (pour oregano into hand and rub it to wake up the oils), mozzarella cheese and chopped bacon bits. Mix well.
- Using a spoon, overfill mushroom cavities. Flatten tops of stuffing with spoon, careful not to spill it out of the cap. Top with parmigiano-reggiano or Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until mushroom is fork tender and stuffing mixture is golden brown.