Home Made Sourcream/Yogurt
How to Make Home Made Sourcream/Yogurt
- First of all,read your yogurt container at the store.It needs to say the words, contains acciladolphulis,meaning active cultures.Sugar free yogurt is fine to use. Get a half a gallon of regular milk.And a box of powdered milk,which can be used later for so very many different recipes.
- Next you take the 8 oz of yogurt and empty an ice tray so you can put the yogurt in it to freeze yogurt squares.When frozen,put into a ziplock freezer bag to store.This is your culture that you have now made to make lots and lots of fresh and yummy yogurt or sour cream.
- Use heavy duty large pot to put the 1/2 gallon of milk into.Add in 2 cups of powdered milk,stirring with a whisk.As you are waiting on milk mixtures to come up to 180-190 degrees temperature, stirring,stirring so it does not burn.Take out of freezer bag.two yogurt cubes and set on a saucer for much later on.
- I use a candy thermometer to measure heat temperature. When 180 degree,s take pot off of stove and let cool down to 100-110 degrees,then put in yogurt and stir well.
- This last step of prepping.I do in my laundry room on top of my new and clean,washing machine.I use a hot pad on med. heat or if only one setting like my hot pad,use that one.Turn on and put pot on top of pad.Cover pot with a lid and leave alone overnight or 8 hours.It will then be really thick,when ready to use.
- Find four containers that you want to use to store this in the refridgerator,with lids.Any plastic containers will do the job.If you want sour cream to use or bake with,its ready now.If you want yummy yogurt,just add sugar to your taste to each container separateley and fruit of choice.Banana,s,strawberries,mangos,peaches,apples simmered,and drained with cinnamon.The sky,s the limit to the flavors that can be made.
- Lastly but not least is the cost of home made yogurt or sour cream,can in no way,be any cheaper and so much better and so very much more product than you can buy at the stores,not to mention freshest product to be found.I hope you all will take a chance and try this recipe one time.You will never go back to the store product again.I Garantee You.