Azorean Dried Fava Beans
These are wonderful, salty and crunchy. They can be found at your local Portuguese market, but make your own, they are very easy to make. You won't be sorry you tried this tasty snack. What a great way to get our veggies.
- 1 bag dried fava beans
- water to generously cover beans
- 2/3 of a cup of vegetable oil or olive oil
- lightly sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper or your favorite seasoning.
How to Make Azorean Dried Fava Beans
- 1In a large bowl soak 1 bag of dried Fava beans over night in water.
You will need enough water to cover the beans by more than a half inch.
- 2The next morning you can see that the beans have split apart.
If some have not done so, go ahead and pull them apart yourself.
Now rinse them and lay them on a kitchen towel to dry.
- 3Heat 2/3 of a cup of vegetable oil or olive oil in a large pan.
Add 1/2 cup of the halved beans at a time to the oil.
When fava beans begin to brown, remove them with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels to catch the excess oil.
Do this with the remaining fava beans.
- 4When all the fava beans have been cooked, lightly sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper or your favorite seasonings.
- 5The beans will become crispy when they cool.