Homemade Almond Butter
I adore almond butter and the cost is so high it busts my budget. But thanks to Rebecca's recipe I can now make my own. This recipe is hers all but the maple syrup.
NOTE: BE SURE TO MAKE A ONE CUP BATCH AT A TIME SINCE MORE CAN STOP THE BLADES FROM TURNING. I KNOW CUZ I GOT GREEDY LAST NIGHT AND STOPPED MY FOOD PROCESSOR FROM WORKING. BE CAREFUL!!
How to Make Homemade Almond Butter
- 1While almond butter can be made from raw nuts, roasting the nuts just prior to making the butter considerably enhances both flavor and aroma. To roast the almonds, spread them in a thin layer on a baking sheet at 300°F for about 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times to assure even roasting.
- 2Combine the almonds and salt in a food processor, blender, meat grinder or nut butter machine and process until the nuts are finely ground. (NOTE) Be sure not to grind more than one cup at a time or this can stop up the food processor. I know because my second batch did. I guess I was greedy!
- 3Add the oil, and maple syrup and continue processing until the almond butter reaches your desired degree of smoothness, adding more oil if necessary.
- 4For chunky butter, stir in ¼ cup chopped almonds. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- 5Variations: Substitute Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts for the almonds. Or combine two or more of these nuts in any proportion.