~ Granola ~
I've experimented with various recipes, adding & taking away, until I arrived at this.
What I like best is that this can be adjusted to suit one's tastes using various combinations of spices, nuts, seeds, &/or sweeteners!
- 6 c
- old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 c
- nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- 1/4 c
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, etc.)
- 1/3 c
- wheat germ or flaxseed meal (or a combo of the two)
- 3/4 tsp
- cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger (or a combo of any)
- 1 pkg
- birds eye fresh-frozen coconut
- 3 large
- egg whites
- 3/4 tsp
- 3/4 c
- honey, molasses, or agave nectar (or a combo of any)
- 1/3 c
- olive oil
- 1 c
- dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apricots, etc.)
How to Make ~ Granola ~
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg. Have two cookie sheets prepared.
- 2Combine the oats, nuts, seeds,
wheat germ/flax, and
spices in a large bowl.
- 3In another
bowl, whisk egg whites and salt until frothy. Whisk in the sweetener and the olive oil.
- 4Add wet
ingredients to dry ingredients, and
stir until the oats are evenly coated. Even divide mixture in half; then spread each 1/2 onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- 5Bake for 20 mins. Gently stir/flip mixture and bake an additional 10 mins., watching carefully so that mixture doesn't burn. (This is the part of the process where the granola 'clumps' together, so don't stir too vigorously!) Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Mix in dried fruit.
- 6Once cool, preheat oven to 250 deg. Combine contents of both sheets into large baking pan (~13X9) and bake, stirring occasionally, until it reaches desired level of 'crunch.' (I usually bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours!)
- 7Cool & enjoy! :)