Taralli Italian Pretzels
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
2 tspdry yeast
1/2 cwarm water
2 Tbspdry white wine
2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspground black pepper
1/2 colive oil, extra virgin
dash(es)fennel seeds (optional)
How to Make Taralli Italian Pretzels
- Dissolve yeast in water. Sift flour, salt and pepper onto mixing board.
- Make a well in the center and add yeast, wine and oil. Blend together and gradually incorporate into flour. Knead for 10 minutes, the dough will be stiff.
- Place in oil coated bowl, turn to coat, cover with towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Break off small pieces of dough and roll into ropes about 6 inches long. Form a ring and pinch edges together.
- Fill a large saucepan half full of water; bring to a boil. Drop taralli into water and boil for 1 minute. Remove from water, letting both sides dry on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Brush with olive oil and bake 350 degrees on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, turning a few times during baking until light to medium golden brown and crisp. 12-15 minutes. Let pretzels cool and store in an air tight container.