Sesame, Sunflower and Flax Crackers
I would like to say it is gluten free, but I did read that sesame seeds may contain trace amounts of gluten, however sunflower seeds and flax seeds are gluten free.
- 1/2 c
- shelled sunflower seeds, roasted, unsalted
- 1/2 c
- whole flax seeds
- 1/2 c
- sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/4 c
How to Make Sesame, Sunflower and Flax Crackers
- 11. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- 22. In a food processor or coffee mill, grind sunflower seed (and flaxseed) to a fine meal. )You can opt to use 1 cup of sunflower seeds and omit the flax, however, the flax is full of Omega 3 essential fatty acids). If you are using salted sunflower seeds, you may want to decrease your salt.
- 33. Add the sesame seeds and salt, and pulse the food processor just long enough to combine, or mix by hand. You want the sesame seeds to stay whole. Add the water and pulse to make into a dough or mix by hand.
- 44. Cover a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto the parchment paper, tear off another sheet of parchment paper and place on top of dough.
- 55. Through the top sheet, use your hands to press the dough into as thin and even a sheet as you can. You can also use a rolling pin. Take the time to get the dough quite thin, the thinner, the better, so long as there are no holes in the dough. Peel off the top parchment paper and use a thin, sharp, straight-bladed knife or a pizza cutter to score the dough into squares or diamonds. If you prefer, sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the surface and gently press it into the dough BEFORE scoring the crackers.
- 66. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until crackers are a light, golden brown color. Remove from oven, carefully peel off parchment paper, break along the scored lines, and let the crackers cool. Store in a tightly closed container.
- 7Yield: About 6 dozen small crackers, each with 1 gram of carbohydrates, and about 0.5 grams of fiber.
For a variation---add ½ cup reduced fat grated parmesan cheese in place of the sesame seeds in step 3---follow steps 4 through 6
Try adding your own spices in with the recipe too. Be careful when adding cinnamon & sugar or garlic powder to the top...it burns easily in the oven. If you do choose to sprinkle on on top...Add it to the last 5 minutes of baking, or so.