Homemade Chili Cheese Fritos
How to Make Homemade Chili Cheese Fritos
- Whisk together corn meal and salt in a bowl.
- Microwave water until it is boiling (about 1 minute 10 seconds) and whisk into the cornmeal mixture. Add oil and whisk until smooth.
- Spray a sheet of wax paper with cooking spray and scrape batter into middle. Spray another sheet of waxed paper and place sprayed-side down onto batter. Roll out with a rolling pin until batter is about the size of a cookie sheet and of even consistency.
- Peel off top sheet of waxed paper and use a pizza cutter or knife to score batter into rectangles. Bake at 375 for about 8-10 minutes or until chips are set but not yet browned. If you want your chips baked, keep baking until golden brown and then break apart and skip frying (I think frying makes them taste better, but they are good either way).
- Heat oil to 375 degrees. Divide chips into 2 batches and fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Dump chips into a plastic storage bag and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle in the chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder and toss to coat. Add extra salt if desired (I think these are salty enough without added salt).