ZUCCHINI LATKES (SALLYE)
1 mediumyellow crooked neck squash
1/2 mediumwhite onion
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 tspground black or white pepper
1/2 tspcayenne pepper
2 Tbspolive oil or butter
How to Make ZUCCHINI LATKES (SALLYE)
- (1) Cut zucchini and yellow squash into julienne strips. Set aside.
(2) Thinly slice onion and set aside
(3) Whisk eggs until frothy and set aside
- Lightly spray heavy skillet and place over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft but not brown.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash to onions, and continue cooking for about 3 to 4 minutes until squash is softened. Set aside to cool.
- (1) Sift dry ingredients together into a medium mixing bowl.
(2) Add beaten eggs, milk and seasonings.
(3) Let rest for 30 minutes
- Add egg/flour mixture to vegetables, and stir with wooden spoon just enough to blend.
- Place a clean heavy skillet on medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When oil is shimmering, drop portions 1/3 to 1/2 cup latke mixture(depending on how large you want them) into skillet and press down with the bottom of a glass.
- Fry until toasty brown on both sides. Best served immediately.