Zucchini in Cheese Sauce
How to Make Zucchini in Cheese Sauce
- Place oil in a large saute pan or skillet.
- Slice zucchini into thin strips (you can actually slice the zucchini any way you like as this will not effect the outcome of the recipe!).
- Add the zucchini, salt (completely optional) and pepper (you could use cayenne or red pepper too) to the pan and toss to coat.
- Place pan on medium high heat and cook until the zucchini is tender but still has a little bite to it; almost like making al dente pasta. This takes roughly 8-10 minutes depending on how thick the zucchini has been sliced.
- While the zucchini is cooking, whisk together the evaporated milk (I used 2% but feel free to use fat free or, if you want to make this more decadent, cream), vegetable broth (you can definitely use chicken or beef broth) and cornstarch until fully combined.
- Once the zucchini is tender, pour the milk mixture into the pan and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat, add cheese (I used locatelli but you could use any hard macaroni cheese) and stir until fully combined.