- 10-12 oz
- ziti or penne pasta
- 1/3 c
- low-fat milk or soy milk
- 1 large
- bunch fresh broccoli, or about 4 heaping cups precut fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 4 large
- cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small
- jalepeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1/3 c
- grated parmesan cheese or soy parmesan
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
How to Make Ziti with Broccoli in Garlic Sauce
- 1If you have time, wash, cut, and trim the broccoli in advance; like the night before. If not, work on it, while cooking pasta. See Step 3.
- 2Cook pasta per package. Drain pasta, then return it to the pot, and toss it with your milk of choice. Remove from heat, and cover.
- 3If working on cutting the broccoli, make into florets about 1 inch in diameter, and take stalks and peel them, and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
Steam cut broccoli or precut florets, in a saucepan, with about 1 inch of water, for about 5 minutes, or until they are bright green and tender-crisp.
- 4Heat oil, in a small skillet. Add garlic and the jalapeno pepper, if desired. Saute them over low heat for 1 minute, then mash them into the oil with a fork, and continue to sauté over very low heat, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the steamed broccoli and the garlic mixture to the pasta pot. Add the Parmesan cheese, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. Makes 4-6 servings.
Nutrition: 217 cal, 11 g fat, 5 g chol, 146 mg sod, 19 g carb, 6 g protein.