Warm autumn bake
Irisa Raina 9
This time I used Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale “ trying to get into a fall kind of mood “ but you can use any kind you like.
If you don’t want to use beer you can use water, chicken broth or vegetable broth.
I am sorry I don’t have any pictures to go along with this dish, but I was juggling making this dish, plus another one to freeze, and trying to get some “ domestic goddess” stuff done as well.
- cabbage “ 2 “ lbs.
- 2 golden delicious apples
- 1- 12 ounce bottle “ blue moon harvest pumpkin ale”
- 3 cups of apple sauce “ original not cinnamon or unsweetened “ divided in ½.
- 1 cup orange juice “ no pulp “
- 1 medium sweet onion “ chopped fine”
- 1 glove garlic “ minced”
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds “optional”
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ of 1– 12 ounce can 7 up pop
How to Make Warm autumn bake
- 1Remove the core and slice the cabbage into ½ inch slices. If you have a food processor this will really go fast.
- 2Peel and slice the apples put them in some cold water till you are ready to assemble the casserole. When you are ready to put the dish together, drain the apples thoroughly.
- 3Cook the beer, 1/2 of the apple sauce & the OJ on low till it is really thick, and reduced by ½. Set aside.
- 4Sauté the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, caraway seeds & sugar in the butter plus 3 tablespoons of the beer, apple sauce mixture, till the onions are soft and translucent. Add the onion mixture to the remaining beer apple sauce mixture, mix well and set aside.
- 5Spray a casserole dish with a non stick spray.
- 6Layer in the following order. First put some of the cabbage and apples in the pan. Cover with ½ of the beer mixture, then cabbage & apples, cover with the rest of the beer mixture.
- 7Then cover with the remaining apple sauce.
- 8Pour the ½ of the 12 ounce can or bottle of 7 UP down the side of the cabbage dish.
- 9Cover with foil and bake 350 for 1 & ½ hours, or till the cabbage is tender and the top is all bubbly and brown.
- 10The baking time will depend on your oven, and how big you slice the cabbage.