Tomatoes Stuffed with Creamed Spinach
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a fun side to your guests! We love creamed spinach, totally dig stuffed tomatoes, and LOVE tomatoes stuffed with creamed spinach! The Test Kitchen
How to Make Tomatoes Stuffed with Creamed Spinach
- 1First, cut the tops off the tomatoes and hollow them out. I use a melon-baller to hollow out my tomatoes. Then turn the tomatoes upside down and place them onto a paper towel so that they can drain very well (this keeps them from turning into baked mush).
- 2In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon to your liking (I prefer very crispy, just before burnt, bacon). Then pull the bacon out to drain but leave the drippings in the pan. Once they're drained, chop the bacon down to coarse bacon bits and set aside.
- 3Add the chopped onions into the skillet and cook until they are tender.
- 4Chop up the baby spinach and add it to the onions and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted nicely.
- 5Once the onions and spinach are done, cut the heat and add in the sour cream, tabasco sauce, salt and pepper, and about half of the chopped bacon that you cooked. Stir together until well blended.
- 6Turn the tomatoes right side up and fill with the spinach mixture. Top each tomato with about a tablespoon or two of crumbled gorgonzola cheese, depending on how large the tomatoes are. Then sprinkle with remaining bacon bits and place them onto a prepared baking sheet.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. at 12 minutes, the tomatoes should still be warm and firm and the gorgonzola wil have just started to melt, at 20 minutes, the tomatoes will be less firm but the gorgonzola will be more melted.
- 8Serve warm.