TOMATOES STUFFED W/SQUASH (SALLYE)
Bonus: It tastes as good as it looks.
8-10 largeripe tomatoes, deseeded and deveined
5 lbyellow crookneck squash, sliced
1 largeonion, chopped
1/2 tspblack pepper
24 ozcream cheese, softened and diced
4 Tbspolive oil
1/2 cbuttered bread crumbs
How to Make TOMATOES STUFFED W/SQUASH (SALLYE)
- Hollow out tomatoes (deseed and devein) and place upright in a pyrex baking dish approximately 9" x 13"
Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine squash, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and water in a large heavy covered saucepan and cook just until tender (about 5-10 minutes) Do not overcook
Drain, reserving liquid for use later.
Mash well and drain again
- Cream the cheese with a little of the reserved liquid until cheese is consistency of whipped cream
- Add olive oil to squash and stir until well blended
Add cream cheese mixture to squash and blend lightly with a fork
- Spoon mixture into hollowed out tomatoes, tamping down with spoon to make sure tomato is completely filled
Cover each tomato with buttered bread crumbs
- Bake in 350º oven for approximately 30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned