Texas Kickin' Ranch Salad
This salad is great with any Tex-Mex type meal, or it would be perfect with burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, or grilled chicken.
- 1 pkg
- 10-12 oz. frozen super sweet corn (tx store brand) or any sweet corn will do
- 1 can(s)
- black beans rinsed & drained
- 1 c
- pico de gallo - i like the convenience and taste of fresh, prepared pico de gallo from the produce section (tx stores carry mild, med,hot) choose what your family prefers .
- 2 c
- cheddar cheese or mexican blend shredded (fine or fancy)
- 1/4-1/2 c
- light ranch dressing
- 1 Tbsp
- hot sauce (i use frank's)
- 2 + c
- chili cheese corn chips (the chili cheese flavor absolutely makes the difference)
AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE RANCH DRESSING AND HOT SAUCE ABOVE, I HAVE FOUND I LIKE 1/3 CUP MAYO OR SOUR CREAM COMBINED WITH 1/4 CUP WHATABURGER BRAND SPICY JALAPEñO RANCH SAUCE. PLUS JUICE OF 1/2 LIME. (WHATABURGER SAUCES FOUND IN CONDIMENT SECTION)
How to Make Texas Kickin' Ranch Salad
- 3Mix Hot Sauce with the Ranch Dressing. I like a sweeter hot sauce so mine is not super hot, so taste the dressing after you've added some and decide whether you would like more or not. Combine the dressing with the veggie mixture. Also you can use less than 1/2 Cup dressing. It says 1/4 to 1/2 depending on your taste.
NEXT add 2 Cups cheese to the mixture.
- 4DO NOT ADD Chili Cheese Corn Chips until ready to serve.
It is best to chill this salad for awhile in the refrigerator, but not totally necessary.
When ready to serve. Combine 3/4 of the Chili Cheese corn chips in with the salad, crunching them up a bit as you go. Top with the remaining corn chips and serve!
- 5*Pico De Gallo is also called salsa fresca. It is a fresh, uncooked condiment made from chopped tomato, white onion, and chilis (typically jalapeños). Other ingredients may also be added, such as lime juice and/or apple cider vinegar, fresh cilantro. So if you can’t find this in your local store already prepared in the produce section, you can make your own. Note* This is not the same as salsa. For this Texas Ranch Salad recipe, 1/3 Cup chopped onion, 1/2 Cup chopped Tomato, ¼ Cup chopped pepper and a 1/2 Tbsp cilantro and ½ TBSP lime juice would work. You could also leave out cilantro and lime.
- 6Additions: If you aren't trying to please a bunch of picky eaters, you could add a variety of peppers (red, gold, green) maybe some black olives. And, I suppose you could omit the Pico De Gallo and just use chopped tomatoes and some green or red onions, but The prepared Pico really gives this dish it's original flavor, along with the chili cheese chips.