Bonus: It's good for you!
- 4 medium
- zucchini squash
- 4 medium
- yellow crookneck squash
- 1 large
- white onion
- 1 can(s)
- original rotel tomatoes and chilis (10 ounce)
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- grated mexican blend cheese
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- hatch or other chili pepper
How to Make TEX-MEX SQUASH
- 1Wash squash well and cut into thin coin-style slices. Season with salt and paprika.
- 2Quarter onion and cut into thin slices.
Cut chile pepper into quarters, remove core, seeds and membrane and finely dice.
Place onions and chiles in microwave proof bowl with 1 tablespoon water.
Cover with paper towel and cook on full power for 3-5 minutes until onions are tender but still firm
- 3Preheat oven to 325º
- 4Heat olive oil in a cast iron or heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 5When oil is shimmering, add squash, turn heat down to medium low, and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
NOTE: The squash will make its own liquid
- 6Remove cover, add onion/pepper mixture and tomatoes. Place cover back on skillet, and turn heat to simmer. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and add sour cream and cheese. Mix well with wooden spoon and place in lightly oiled baking dish.
- 8Bake at 325º uncovered for 15 minutes. You may sprinkle additional cheese over the top if desired.