Bonus: It's good for you!
4 mediumzucchini squash
4 mediumyellow crookneck squash
1 largewhite onion
1 can(s)original rotel tomatoes and chilis (10 ounce)
1/2 csour cream
1 cgrated mexican blend cheese
3 Tbspolive oil
1 mediumhatch or other chili pepper
How to Make TEX-MEX SQUASH
- Wash squash well and cut into thin coin-style slices. Season with salt and paprika.
- Quarter onion and cut into thin slices.
Cut chile pepper into quarters, remove core, seeds and membrane and finely dice.
Place onions and chiles in microwave proof bowl with 1 tablespoon water.
Cover with paper towel and cook on full power for 3-5 minutes until onions are tender but still firm
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is shimmering, add squash, turn heat down to medium low, and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
NOTE: The squash will make its own liquid
- Remove cover, add onion/pepper mixture and tomatoes. Place cover back on skillet, and turn heat to simmer. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream and cheese. Mix well with wooden spoon and place in lightly oiled baking dish.
- Bake at 325º uncovered for 15 minutes. You may sprinkle additional cheese over the top if desired.