Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Strata
If you love mushrooms, cheese, casseroles and simple hot, mostly vegetarian dishes...this is the recipe for you.
Also note, if you have any leftover Roasted Garlic Vegetables (see recipe on JAP) this is an excellent use!
1/2 cunsalted butter, melted
1 lbmushrooms, mix of any three types (i like crimini, white and portabello)
1 smallonion, diced
3/4 ctri-colored peppers, rough chopped
1 bag(s)french bread
1 stickbutter, softened (for the french bread slices)
1 lbswiss cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1 1/4 cmilk or half and half
dash(es)thyme (fresh or dried)
1 - 26 oz.cream of mushroom soup
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Strata
- Do NOT use a stoneware casserole dish for this--it will break your dish in the last step when you add the mushroom soup!
- Slice French bread into thick 1" slices. Butter both sides of of bread, cut into large pieces and toss 1/3 into sprayed or oiled casserole dish. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Add next 1/3 of buttered and diced bread to the top of the mushrooms.
- Add cubed Swiss cheese to the top of the bread.
- Mix eggs with milk or half and half and pour over the casserole dish. Add a dash of thyme over the top.
- Add remaining buttered, cubed bread to the top.
- Cover and let sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can water. Spread over the top of the hot casserole and bake for and additional 30 minutes.