Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Strata
If you love mushrooms, cheese, casseroles and simple hot, mostly vegetarian dishes...this is the recipe for you.
Also note, if you have any leftover Roasted Garlic Vegetables (see recipe on JAP) this is an excellent use!
- 1/2 c
- unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb
- mushrooms, mix of any three types (i like crimini, white and portabello)
- 1 small
- onion, diced
- 3/4 c
- tri-colored peppers, rough chopped
- 1 bag(s)
- french bread
- 1 stick
- butter, softened (for the french bread slices)
- 1 lb
- swiss cheese, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/4 c
- milk or half and half
- thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 - 26 oz.
- cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Strata
- 1Do NOT use a stoneware casserole dish for this--it will break your dish in the last step when you add the mushroom soup!
- 3Slice French bread into thick 1" slices. Butter both sides of of bread, cut into large pieces and toss 1/3 into sprayed or oiled casserole dish. Top with mushroom mixture.
- 4Add next 1/3 of buttered and diced bread to the top of the mushrooms.
- 5Add cubed Swiss cheese to the top of the bread.
- 6Mix eggs with milk or half and half and pour over the casserole dish. Add a dash of thyme over the top.
- 7Add remaining buttered, cubed bread to the top.
- 8Cover and let sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can water. Spread over the top of the hot casserole and bake for and additional 30 minutes.