Swiss Chard with Garbanzo Beans and Pine Nuts
- 1 to 2 large
- bunches swiss chard, about 1 1/4 to 2 lb
- 3 slice
- bacon, cut in 3/4 in pieces and fried til crisp, reserve 1 tbsp rendered fat.
- 3 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c
- pine nuts
- 2 clove
- garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste, (also used some johnny's seasoned salt)
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- juice of half lemon
- 1 can(s)
- garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
How to Make Swiss Chard with Garbanzo Beans and Pine Nuts
- 1Trim the chard ribs from the leaves and wash separately. Drain the leaves in a colander. Chop leaves into about 1 to
2 inch square pieces Cut the ribs into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2Bring a pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ribs and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain.
- 3Saute bacon pieces in large fry pan until crisp. remove to paper towel and drain off all but 1 Tbsp fat.
- 4Put the chopped leaves in the large fry pan with about 4 Tbsp water or broth. Place over medium heat, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until they wilt, about 5 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook to evaporate any excess moisture. Stir in the cooked ribs, add garbanzo beans and remove from the heat.
- 5In a small fry pan over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil and pine nuts. Toast the nuts, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to release its fragrance. Stir in lemon juice and brown sugar and 1 tsp salt.
- 6Add the garlic mixture to the chard, and stir well to coat the chard evenly. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- 7Transfer to a serving dish. Serve warm, or at room temperature.