- 4 medium
- yellow onions, unpeeled
- 2 oz
- olive oil
- kosher salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 8 oz
- kasseri or parmesan cheese, grated, plus 4 ozs. grated for garnish
How to Make Stuffed Onions (Kremidolmades)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Slice the top off of the onions and a small part of the bottom so that it sits flat. Put onions on a baking sheet and drizzle each with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the onions are tender. Remove and let cool.
- 3In a small saute pan, over medium-high heat, reduce the cream until it coats the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 4Remove the skin from the cooled onion and poke a small piece of the center out of the onion. Chop the small piece finely and add it into the cream. Fill the center of the onions with 8 oz. of the Kasseri or Parmesan cheese and place back in the oven to reheat and melt cheese, about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove the onions from the pan with a spatula and place on a serving plate. Reheat the cream slightly, about 1 minute and spoon over the onions. Top with the remaining cheese.