Squash, Yellow Crooked Neck Old Southern Style
How to Make Squash, Yellow Crooked Neck Old Southern Style
- Wash and cut ends off of squash
- Slice squash into slightly less than pencil width sized rounds
- Add to boiling water and salt to taste
Drain when fork tender (15-20 minutes)
- While squash is cooking, slice/dice bacon. I usually stack about 4 of the slices of bacon and cut it down the center lengthwise, then slice the strips into pencil width pieces. (I use the best and leanest bacon I can find and I use 2 to 3 strips per pound of squash.)
- Add cut bacon to large frying pan and cook until crispy on med-low heat turning frequently.
Do NOT drain off fat.
- When both bacon and squash are cooked, add drained squash to undrained bacon and stir to mix.
- Add sugar and margarine and let cook down for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: If making a smaller or larger amount of squash, just use about 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 stick of margarine and 2-3 slices of bacon per pound of squash.