Squash That Tastes Like Pumpkin Pie
The topping of vanilla wafers, brown sugar and butter just puts this over the top yummy.
It is so delicious it is a must have for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.
If you bring it for a dish for family get togethers you will bring back and empty dish.
3 lbbutternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
6 Tbspbutter, melted
3 largeeggs, beaten
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/8 tspground cloves
1/8 tspground nutmeg
1/2 cvanilla wafer crumbs (about 15 wafers)
1/4 cpacked brown sugar
2 Tbspbutter, melted
How to Make Squash That Tastes Like Pumpkin Pie
- Butternut squash is kind of tricky to work with. I prick it all over with a fork, and nuke it to get it soft enough to peel and seed, and dice. This can take as long as 8 minutes or so, turning the squash until it softens enough to work with.
- Peel, halve, scoop out the seeds and dice. Put in a glass bowl with a few tablespoons of water, cover and microwave unti squash is tender.
- Place squash in a large mixing bowl, and with an electric mixer, beat til smooth.
- Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the wet ones.
- Spray a 2 quart baking casserole dish with non stick spray, and pour squash mixture in.
- Cover and bake in a pre heated 350° oven for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the topping ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over squash, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until heated through.