Squash Puppies - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
These are very much like hush puppies. Excellent choice for a fish fry!
- 2 c
- yellow summer squash, diced and cooked in a very small amount of water (don't add seasoning)
- 1 c
- self-rising buttermilk corn meal
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- everglades original seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1/2 c
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- 1 small
- onion, diced (i used vadalia)
- 4 c
- peanut oil
How to Make Squash Puppies - Dee Dee's
- 1Drain squash, remove as much liquid as possible.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and seasonings; whisk. Add onion, squash, egg and buttermilk; mix well.
- 3Add oil to a 10-inch cast iron skillet or a heavy skillet. Preheat to 375 degrees. Drop by tablespoon full into hot grease. Fry about 9 or 10 at a time. Puppies will sink to the bottom of the pan but they will rise to the top. Once they come to top allow them to brown, flip to brown all sides. They will be a golden brown when done. Remove from grease and drain on paper towels