★★★★★ 1 vote5
3/4 lbyellow squash
1 tspbaking powder
1 mediumonion, grated
·oil for frying
How to Make Squash Patties [or fritters]
- Cook squash, covered, in boiling water 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash enough squash to measure 1 cup; reserve any remaining squash for use in other recipes
- Combine 1 cup mashed squash and egg; stir well.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; Add squash mixture stir well.
- Heat oil to medium high. Drop by level tablespoons into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain well on paper towels. Yields 2 dozen.
- You can use zucchini also. I use grated squash, not cooked, 3 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp cornmeal, 1 egg, about 1/2 onion, Pinch of salt, a dash or two pepper. Just wantged to give you the more, or less, original recipe with my former mother-in-law's modification last.