★★★★★ 1 vote5
·4 pkgs frozen chopped spinach or chopped broccoli
·1 1/2 lbs monterey jack cheese shredded
·1 large onion,chopped
·3 large eggs
·1/4 cup butter
·1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
·1 teaspoon salt
·1 teaspoon oregano
·1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh chopped garlic
·1 cup all purpose flour
How to Make Spinach Squares
- Open the boxes of Spinach OR Broccoli and place in colander overnight so that they are completely thawed and squeeze out the juices with your hands or by pressing down with wooden spoon.DO NOT COOK.
- Place Thawed Spinach OR Broccoli into a large mixing bowl,set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl,beat the 3 Eggs,add the milk,then all the dry ingredients as well as the onions
- Pour over the Spinach OR Broccoli,then begin to mix with hands or wooden spoon,slowly adding the cheese to incorporate it into the mixture
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.Place 1/4 Cup of butter into a 13x9 inch baking dish and place into the oven and melt,watching carefully so it doesn't burn.Remove pan from oven.
- Now pour mixture into pan over the top of the melted butter.Do not mix ,just spread evenly with a wooden spoon
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until edges begin to brown and there's a nice golden brown top,remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes and then cut into squares.Cut into Brownie size squares if using as a side dish or smaller squares if using for appetizers
- You can freeze any leftovers,as these freeze well for future use.Or store in fridge for up to 3 days