Spicy Pickled Green Beans
2 1/2 lbfresh green beans
2 1/2 cwhite vinegar
4 Tbspkosher or pickling salt
6dried arbol chilis*
2 tsppeppercorns, tricolored
6pickle crisp or grape leaves
6 sprig(s)fresh dill, optional
How to Make Spicy Pickled Green Beans
- Trim green beans to 1/4 inch shorter than your jars. Blanche in boiling water for two minutes and immediately remove to ice water. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- In each hot, sterile jar, place 1 chili, sprig of dill if using and 1/8 teaspoon more or less of peppercorns. Tightly pack green beans into the jars so they are standing on their ends. Sprinkle with pickle crisp or place a grape leave in the jar. Place a lemon slice on top of each jar.
- Fill each jar to within 1/4 inch of the tops with boiling brine. Seal jars with lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath with jars covered by a minimum of one inch of water for 10 minutes to process. Remove and place on a dish towel away from direct sunlight. After 24 hours, test jars for a seal. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal properly. Store jars in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 weeks before eating.
- *Chili peppers can be substituted with red pepper flakes to taste if desired.