Spanakopita (Greek Spinach pie)
- 1 Reg B box
- frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed
- 4 slice
- cooked, applewood bacon (crisp) chopped
- 1 large
- chopped leek (may use onion)
- 3/4 c
- crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 c
- romano cheese, grated (or parm)
- 3 large
- eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- flour (for roux)
- 1 c
- milk (for roux)
- 16 sheet(s)
- phyllo dough, buttered & stacked in 8s twice
- salt, pepper & a little nutmeg in roux
How to Make Spanakopita (Greek Spinach pie)
- 1Sauté leek (S) or onions in 2 tbsps. butter until caramelized. Stir in spinach that has been thawed and squeezed dry. Cool.
- 2Keep Phyllo covered with damp t-towel. brush 8 pieces with melted 2 Tbsps of remaining butter. (I sometimes add some good Olive Oil with butter.)The phyllo should fit in 8x8 pan and fold up the sides.
- 3Make a roux with milk and flour. Beat eggs & mix with spinach/cheese, onion mixture & Roux. Add S&P & touch of nutmeg in the roux. Put into phyllo-lined pan. Sprinkle with chopped bacon. Prep the other 8 sheets phyllo and cut to fit top of pie.
- 4Bake in 350 degree oven 30 minutes or until cooked to a golden, crisp brown. Serve and cut into squares. I know it sounds like a lot of work but the compliments are sure worth it!