Simple Country Fried Green Tomatoes
4 to 6 mediumgreen tomatoes
1 cwhole milk
1/2 cself rising flour
1/2 cself rising corn meal
·oil for frying
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Simple Country Fried Green Tomatoes
- Slice tomatoes thinly, about 1/8" thick, set aside.
- In a small bowl, add milk and egg. Beat with whisk or fork until smooth. In a shallow bowl or plate mix together flour and cornmeal.
- Dip tomatoes in milk mixture and then coat each side as evenly as possible with flour mixture, set aside. If you start to run out of your flour mixture, go ahead and add some more.
- Pour about 1/2" of vegetable or canola oil in a heavy skillet and heat until very hot, about 350 degrees. Once the oil is hot, add some of the tomato slices. Cook on one side for about two to three minutes or until golden, then carefully turn to brown the other side. Do this in batches, so as not to over crowd your skillet.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with your favorite sauce. My husband loves them with a copy cat recipe Outback Steakhouse bloomin' onion sauce. I just love them plain.