Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons
1 cchopped celery
1/2 cfinely chopped onion
2 Tbspbutter* for sauteeing celery & onions and some to mix with bread crumbs, if using
·*cooking spray, if needed for spraying top of dish with the store croutons
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
3 slicebread, toasted, or croutons from the grocery, or bread crumbs
1 can(s)1 lb. 12 oz. size tomatoes
2 tspprepared mustard
How to Make Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons
- Cook celery and onion in butter until just tender; blend in flour.
- Butter toast; cut in 1/2 in. cubes. Or, use croutons from the grocery, sprayed with cooking spray, or bread crumbs mixed with a little butter, if using.
- Break up tomatoes; add to celery mixture with half of the toast cubes and remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole; top with remaining toast.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.