Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
This one stuffed with sausage and pineapple sounds pretty good too.
From Mom's Woman's Day "Collector's Cookbook," 1975
2 mediumacorn squash, halved and seeded
·water for steaming
1 Tbspbutter, melted
1/2 lbsausage meat (any)
1/2 mediumonion, chopped
1/2 ccelery, chopped
1 csoft bread crumbs or panko
1 can(s)(8 ounce) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
to tastesalt and pepper
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- STEAM THE SQUASH IN OVEN: Place squash halves cut side down in shallow roasting pan. Add water to about 1/4-inch depth.
- Bake 400 F oven 25 minutes -- remove from oven and turn cut side up in pan. (To keep halves steady, place clean jar lids in pan and set squash halves in lids.)Brush edges with butter.
- STUFFING: In skillet saute onion, celery and sausage until lightly browned. Drain the fat
- Add crumbs, pineapple, salt and pepper, then spoon into squash halves.
- Bake 400 F 25 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.