Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
This one stuffed with sausage and pineapple sounds pretty good too.
From Mom's Woman's Day "Collector's Cookbook," 1975
- 2 medium
- acorn squash, halved and seeded
- water for steaming
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1/2 lb
- sausage meat (any)
- 1/2 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1/2 c
- celery, chopped
- 1 c
- soft bread crumbs or panko
- 1 can(s)
- (8 ounce) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- to taste
- salt and pepper
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1STEAM THE SQUASH IN OVEN: Place squash halves cut side down in shallow roasting pan. Add water to about 1/4-inch depth.
- 2Bake 400 F oven 25 minutes -- remove from oven and turn cut side up in pan. (To keep halves steady, place clean jar lids in pan and set squash halves in lids.)Brush edges with butter.
- 3STUFFING: In skillet saute onion, celery and sausage until lightly browned. Drain the fat
- 4Add crumbs, pineapple, salt and pepper, then spoon into squash halves.
- 5Bake 400 F 25 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.