Rose Mary's Stuffed Spinach Tomato Cups with Feta
Rose Mary Mogan
- 1 c
- heavy whipping cream
- `1 Tbsp
- each olive oil & butter
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 box
- 10 oz. each frozen spinach ,thawed
- 3-4 large
- 1/2 c
- feta or blue cheese crumbles
- 3/4 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped chive as garnish , if desired
- 1 large
- red bell pepper, chopped
How to Make Rose Mary's Stuffed Spinach Tomato Cups with Feta
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add heavy cream to a small sauce pan, and allow to simmer on a very low heat for about 20 minutes or until cream has reduced to about half. A great substitute if you do not have whipping cream is to melt 1/3 cup of butter, and add to 3/4 cup of milk, stir to mix. If milk is low fat, you should add 1 T. flour to help it thicken your dish. NO SUBSTITUTE IF YOU ARE WHIPPING SOMETHING.
- 2In the mean time wash and core tomatoes, cut in half. Use a medium size spoon to scoop out all the inside membrane, then sprinkle the inside cavity with small amount of parmesan cheese. SAVE REMAINING TO BE USED LATER IN RECIPE .
- 3Grease or spray a casserole dish with butter or non stick cooking spray, add the tomato halves and set aside.
- 4Add the olive oil and butter to a large skillet, over medium heat, add the onions, red bell pepper and minced garlic, and stir till translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with the steak seasoning.
- 5Make sure spinach has been squeezed dry. I squeeze with my hands to eleminate any remaining excess water. Add spinach to skillet and separate with a large spoon, and stir to mix with onion and pepper mixture, add grated nutmeg, remaining parmesan cheese, and the reduced heavy cream. Stir to mix well. cook about 5 or 6 minutes longer, and then remove from heat.
- 6Fill each half of tomato cup evenly with spinach mixture. Top each cup with feta or blue cheese crumbles. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till cheese melts, and cups are bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped chive if desired. Serve immediately.
- 7NOTE: You can also bake this dish in microwave for about 10 minutes. I do it in 5 minute intervals, and check. Since our family loves the feta, I usually add an additional half cup to the spinach mixture while still in skillet, that is optional. The addition of red bell peppers to this dish is a great way to get an extra serving of veggies.