RED CABBAGE SLAW TEXAS STYLE (SALLYE)
1 mediumhead red cabbage
1/2 mediumhead green cabbage
1 mediumred onion
2 or 3 mediumgreen onions, thinly sliced (optional)
1/4 cfresh cilantro, leaves only
12-16 ozcooked salad shrimp, frozen, peeled and deveined (optional)
1 tspeach salt & ground pepper
1 cwater chestnuts or nuts of your choice(optional)
1/4 cduke's mayo or HOMEMADE AIOLI (SALLYE)
1 Tbspred wine vinegar
1/2 tspsmoked paprika
1/4 tspchile powder
1/4 tspground cumin
How to Make RED CABBAGE SLAW TEXAS STYLE (SALLYE)
- Place shrimp in colander to thaw and drain
- Rinse 1/3 bunch of cilantro, cut off stems and place leaves only in food processor
Remove stem and root ends from onion, peel onion and cut into quarters. Place in food processor with cilantro.
Pulse processor until onion and cilantro are finely diced. Set aside.
- Cut cabbage head into quarters, remove core (hard middle part)
Shred the quarters into slices about 3/4" wide x length of cabbage.
Place in mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add cilantro and onion to cabbage. Toss lightly to blend.
- Combine aioli, vinegar, paprika, chile powder and cumin and whisk together until well blended.
Pour over cabbage mixture and mix with wooden spoon making sure all cabbage is coated.
- Add thawed shrimp and blend into cabbage mixture
In clean food processor, coarsely dice water chestnuts or nuts and sprinkle over slaw.
- Best if refrigerated for an hour or so before serving.