Pickled Beets ( sweet )
How to Make Pickled Beets ( sweet )
- 1Select small young beets ; wash , leave 3" of top on and the roots.
- 2NOTE : The amount of beets is depending on how many jars I want to make up and what size the beets are , then if I need more syrup to fill my jars I just make more syrup , the amount of beets is based on how many you want to can up.
- 3Bring the water , sugar and the vinegar to a boil in a large sauce pan.
- 4Add the mustard seeds to each jar.
- 5Cook beets in another large pan with boiling water until skins slip away easily , about 15 minutes ; Put into a cold water and remove skins , tops and roots easily with your hands.
- 6Pack beets into jars ; about 1/2" from the top of the jar (cutting them in half or quarter if need be) ; add the boiling syrup to 1/2" of jar also ; clean the rim with a wet dish towel and cap and screw ring on tightly.
- 7Place in a boiling hot water bath for 30 minutes.
- 8Place on a dry dish towel on your counter and let them cool.