PEAS AND RICE WITH CRISPY SHALLOTS
Recipe & photo: bonafidefarmfood.com
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- kapika rice (golden rice)
- 2 3/4 c
- vegetable broth
- 1 c
- fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 c
- shallots, sliced into very thin rounds and separated
- peanut oil or safflower oil
- 2 tsp
- fresh chives, minced
- 2 tsp
- parsley, minced
How to Make PEAS AND RICE WITH CRISPY SHALLOTS
- 1Place the uncooked rice into a 3-1/2-quart Dutch oven with a heavy lid. Add the vegetable stock and a pinch of salt. Bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Immediately turn down the heat to simmer and put the lid on. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shallots. When the shallots are brown, in just a couple of minutes, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3When the rice is done, quickly add the peas. Don't stir them; just leave them on top of rice to steam. Cover the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Fluff the rice/peas with fork. Spoon mixture into bowls, sprinkle with the chives and parsley, and finally with the shallot garnish. Serve while hot.