- fresh tomatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- seedless cucumber, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- red or yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- crusty, day old french baguette, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 6-7 large
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 c
- black olives, chopped, if desired
- ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, chopped, or fresh mozzarella boccini balls
- 1/3 c
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Panzanella Salad
- 1place all chopped ingredients except bread chunks into a large salad bowl and turn to mix well.
- 2Add balsamic vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and turn to coat well. In a pinch, I have also used bottled balsamic dressing, as long as it is fresh and not too sweet tasting - the acidity works well with the fresh flavors!
- 3Add the chunks of bread last, since they so readily soak up the liquids. You want the bread to still have some "tooth" to it. Let sit for a half-hour or so, it takes a bit for all the flavors to meld together. Mix lightly again before serving. Serve with a nice chilled beverage, and fish or chicken for a complete summer meal!