Okra and Tomatoes
How to Make Okra and Tomatoes
- Use a large saute' (frying pan, 12-14 inches diameter). Must have a larger surface to "dry out" okra to prevent slimy texture.
- Dice the onion, should result in at least 1 cup. Cut bacon into 1 inch strips.
Drain diced tomatoes.
- -Place bacon in saute' pan, turn heat up to medium high, Cook bacon until it becomes translucent and gives off some of its oil.
-Add the onion on top of the bacon.
-Add the red pepper flakes.
-stir the ingredients together until the onions are translucent and beginning to soften.
- Add both packages of frozen okra and turn heat to high. Cook for 5 minutes insuring the bottom is not burning by turning the mixture in the pan.
-Pour in the well drained diced tomatoes--object is to have as little extra liquid as possible so the mixture doesn't stew in juices and get slimy. Blend in tomatoes.
-Remainder of cooking time is spend turning the mixture to prevent burning. As it gets closer to done the "sizzle" sound will become more pronounced.
-Add salt, turn the mixture until it looks dry.
-Taste and adjust with salt and additional red pepper flakes to suit your taste.
- Serve as a side dish or main dish over rice.
For Vegetarian style, use 2 tablespoons of Canola oil in place of bacon.