New South green string beans with new potatoes
- water to cover the green beans & potatoes in dutch oven
- 1 Tbsp
- sea salt
- 1 tsp
- 1 lb
- small red skinned new potatoes
- 1 lb
- green string beans
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1-1/2 Tbsp
- light butter
How to Make New South green string beans with new potatoes
- 1Add the salt & sugar to the water in the dutch oven over medium high heat. Stir to dissolve the salt & sugar.
- 2Rinse, and check potatoes for blemishes. You will cook the potatoes whole, with sikins still on. Place in water, and bring to a rolling boil; reduce to slow boil & continue cooking.
- 3The potatoes will be done in approximately 20 to 30 minutes according to their size. Test at about 15 minutes, and adjust timing.
- 4While potatoes are cooking tip & tail the beans. Unless they are very long I cut them in half, but this is up to your preference.
- 5When potatoes are tender add the green string beans to the water, and bring back to a boil. Again, depending on size it should be about another 10 minutes til the beans are tender, but not mushy. If desired, you can only cook to crisp tender and still bright green.
- 6Drain vegetables; put back in the dutch oven with the butter, and garlic powder. Toss to coat the veggies with the butter & garlic.