★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 large
- head cauliflower
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- greek yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- whatever seasonings, to quote the pioneer woman, make your skirt fly up.
- herbs & spices, roasted garlic, parmesan, cheddar, bacon
- you can also even steam some onion slices, garlic cloves, cubed celeriac, rutabaga or any other veg that would go in mashed potatoes with the cauliflower
ADD-INS FOR WHEN YOU WANT IT FANCIED UP
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
- 1Steam the cauliflower:
Put on water to boil for steaming the cauliflower.
Rinse, trim and remove leaves at the base.
You can steam the cauliflower whole or break/cut it up.
- 2Place in steamer.
(If you are adding extra veg in, place them in the steamer first and put the cauliflower on top of them. If a veg has a longer cooking time, such as celeriac, steam it alone first until it begins to soften, then add the cauliflower)
- 3Steam until fork-tender.
Don't overcook or your dish will be watery!
- 4Transfer cauliflower from the steamer to a bowl or pot
. . . someone forgot and tried to finish it in the steamer - which did not work well & they recieved a lot of teasing! (though it is good for a laugh but then again makes a mess)
- 5Mash the cauliflower up a little bit, you don't need a potato masher, just a wooden spoon will do at this point.
- 6Add the butter and yogurt, salt and pepper a bit but be sure not to overdo it.
(You can add any exta seasonings herbs or spices, including roasted garlic, now too.)
- 7For a lush creamy texture, mix with a blending wand.
Or you can mash with a potatoe masher until you are satisfied, which will give a rougher texture but some folks prefer it,
or put through a ricer (I just got bought old ricer at a flea market, haven't tried it out yet so I don't know what texture this will produce).
- 8Adjust seasonings and add more butter or yogurt if needed.
- 9If you are fancying it up:
If you haven't already added any extra seasonings herbs or spices, do so now, taste and adust.
Stir in extras such as cheese and bacon.
- 10Serve and enjoy!
- 11This will keep (in the fridge) for the next day and reheats well on the stove or in the oven, though if you've put a lot of cheese in it you probably want to reheat it in the oven.