Mama's Fried Corn (Cream Style Corn)
Rose Mary Mogan
8ears young fresh corn (shucked)
4 Tbspbacon fat or canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cmilk or water ( mama called it sweet milk)
1 1/2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 largeegg, slightly beaten
1/2 tspeach salt & pepper
How to Make Mama's Fried Corn (Cream Style Corn)
- Shuck corn by removing the outer green leaf layers.Wash corn & remove as many silks as possible.Using a large bowl, Cut corn from each ear of corn by running knife down the length of each ear of corn with a sharp knife removing the kernals as you glide knife down each ear of corn. Then run knife down the sides of corn a second time to remove the milk from the cob;
- Season with salt & pepper, Add sugar, flour, slightly beaten egg and milk or water. Stir thourgly to combine.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet, and when oil is hot, carefully add the corn mixture.Lower the heat, and stir constantly to prevent scorching: cook about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Note: This was one of our favorite hearty breakfast meals during the spring months when the corn was ready to pick. We worked hard in the fields chopping cotton, and needed a hearty breakfast to tide us over till lunch time. Mama made all of this on a wood stove in the wee early hours so we could get to the fields by 6:00 AM.Recipe is in my cookbook in a section called Mama's Recipes.
- I added sweet red bell peppers to this one not only for color but for the sweet flavor of the peppers.