Low-Carb Loaded Baked Cauliflower
This dish serves four as a filling lunch, or eight as a side-dish.
Let me know what you think of it!
- head of cauliflower - washed and cut into florets
- 1 Tbsp
- small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- tangy dijon mustard
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 c
- heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 jar(s)
- hormel real 50% less fat bacon bits (or pieces)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 3/4 c
- (more or less, to taste) finely crushed pork skins (pork rinds)
- green onion, sliced, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Low-Carb Loaded Baked Cauliflower
- 1Steam cauliflower florets in about 1/2 inch of water in a covered dish in the microwave, about 6 minutes or until slightly tender.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2While cauliflower steams, melt butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart sauce pot, and lightly saute onion for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Slowly pour in 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Add dijon mustard, stirring mixture well. Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.
- 3Stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar, stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- 4Stir in bacon pieces, salt and pepper. Add cauliflower and stir to coat.
- 5Pour into a buttered or olive-oil coated 2-quart casserole dish. Dust the top with crushed pork rinds. (No need to butter the pork rinds, as their natural oils will brown and crisp them nicely.)
- 6Bake at 350 degrees in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly. If top begins to over-brown, you may cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
- 7If desired, garnish with chopped scallions (green onions). Serve hot.