Lima Beans and Sausage
My mother in law made this often so it is a cajun comfort food to us. Low in calories but high in protien and good for you.
I also cook dry navy beans this same way. Enjoy!
How to Make Lima Beans and Sausage
- 1In a medium sauce pan put beans and baking soda and cover with water.
- 2Bring to a rapid boil then remove from the stove and rinse beans in cold water, removing all baking soda. This step eliminates having to soak the beans overnight.
- 3Put beans, onions, garlic and salt & pepper in a medium sauce pan and cover with water.
- 4Cut sausage into 2" pieces and add to pot. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer until beans are cooked, adding water as needed to keep the beans from sticking.
- 5Watch beans closely as the water will cook down quickly and you will need to replenish it often. Beans should be soupy when finished.